Binniemyre Guest House is a large Victorian mansion set in its own large grounds surrounded by magnificent 100 foot Canadian Fir trees and prize winning gardens.
The house, a listed building, may be large but the inside has a cosy cottage feel with rich and warming furnishings throughout the public spaces and the guest rooms. On cooler days the log burning stove makes a welcome addition to the small lounge area in the welcoming hall.
The House History
Binniemyre was built in 1862 for a local mill owner and was originally called Eildon View, as at that time no other houses had been built in the area and the house had uniterupted views to the magnificent Eildon Hills. The house was built for The Morrison family, who were one of many wealthy mill owners in the area. They had a large family but tinged with sadness. History states that one daughter, Lucy, jilted before her forthcoming marriage, was so distraught she took her own life in house’s private chapel room. As this act was considered a crime in that era, Lucy was not allowed to be buried in the town, but her name can be seen on the family gravestone in Eastlands Cemetery in Galashiels.
Lucy’s ghost is still rumoured to visit Binniemyre. Both Carol (the owner), her mother-in-law and other guests have mentioned seeing a woman in a white dress walking around the house. One guest even mentioned that she sat next to him on the couch in his room. There is no need for guests to worry though, as Lucy is friendly and seems to only make very rare appearances.